Thursday, December 16, 2010

Half of a Green Face Mounted on Plexi-Glass?

For my free choice, I decided to dabble in the 3D world of artistic expression. I have always wanted to try my hand at sculpting, but the opportunity never really presented itself to me. This was my chance. I wanted to create a face with a expressionless or stoic expression, and for the color of the clay itself to model the feeling of the subject. I chose an eery green, and I believe it fits well with the black and clear composition of the rest of the piece. On another level, I decided that water running down over the face would add another aspect to the overall complexity. This was an a,most overwhelming challenge for me, as I set out to hand-make the frame, pump-housing, and water-tight base. Everything that could possibly have gone wrong, went wrong, and I almost abandoned the whole thing. But thankfully, a spare pump was found and utilized, and the whole thing started coming together. The piece uses asymmetrical composition, and movement to capture my emotion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment